The I/O Ports and cables connect the input and output devices to the PC. Input and output are the basic functions of a PC. The I/O ports and cables provide the means to establish connections to external devices. The different types of I/O ports are:
Serial – Connects to devices such as modems, printers, and digital cameras. Serial ports are the oldest kinds of ports in use. They transmit data in a serial fashion. Serial ports enable data flow in both directions.
Parallel – Connects to scanners, CD burners, hard drives and printers. Parallel ports are much faster than serial ports. These ports transmit data in a parallel manner. Parallel ports are wide in size to enable parallel transmission of data.
USB –Connects to a wide range of devices like mouse, keyboard, modems and speakers. USB stands for Universal Serial Bus. USB is fast becoming a popular replacement for serial and parallel ports. This is because USB is highly advanced, fast, and simple to use.
The I/O cables connect the PC to different I/O devices. The I/O cables are very important to the connections formed by a PC. There are different types of cables available, such as Shielded Twisted Pair (STP), Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP), and fiber optic cables.
No comments:
Post a Comment